How Do You Prevent Termites When Building a New Home in Florida?
Treating lumber and using termite-resistant materials are just two of the ways to prevent termites when constructing a new home.
No one wants to learn their brand-new home has termites, which is why it’s essential to take all possible measures to prevent an infestation. To prevent termites when building a new home, it’s essential to apply treatment before, during, and after the construction. These methods include some of the following techniques:
- Treating the lumber used in the build
- Using more termite-resistant materials
- Applying chemicals on all points of contact of wood to the ground.
- Implementing preventative safety measures to ensure the new home is protected
Pre-Construction Termite Prevention
When building a new structure, there are a number of things that can be done to protect the new build from termites. The most important step in any pre-construction phase is treating the soil before placing slabs. This can form a chemical barrier to prevent termites from getting near the building. Other important techniques to help prevent termites during the home-building process are outlined below.
- Use pressure-treated or termite-resistant wood, such as resinous woods, during construction.
- Try to limit or eliminate wood-to-soil contact throughout the entire foundation by using a concrete base as a barrier.
- Ensure the home receives proper ventilation to avoid excess moisture or humidity.
- Build the home in such a way to create proper drainage, best achieved by sloping the soil away from the foundation.
- When building crawlspaces, be wary of keeping wood aboveground to avoid contact with soil.
- Integrate a galvanized steel or concrete barrier into the build that helps block entry points.
Termite Prevention After Building a Home
Even when your brand-new home is built with termite-resistant materials and techniques, you shouldn’t neglect other forms of ongoing prevention. Just as with a home of any age, continually treating your new property is your best chance at preventing termites. Some of these methods include eliminating excess moisture, fixing leaky water pipes, removing dead or decaying wood sources, keeping firewood away from the home, and being cautious of any wood contact with the ground. Most importantly, getting regular inspections by a professional pest control company will help ensure your new home stays termite-free!
How Do You Prevent Termites When Building a New Home in Florida? Serving Orlando and surrounding counties
Serving satisfied customers in: