How Can I Prevent Termites Naturally?
While there’s no guarantee on their effectiveness, there are several DIY methods that may protect your home and yard from termites.
As with any pest control method, there are a number of all-natural methods to help keep termites away from your property. It’s important to note that termites are notoriously difficult to get rid of and almost always require professional treatment. That said, there are a number of natural methods that may help prevent termites from infesting your home:
- Orange oil
- Cardboard traps
- Exposure to sunlight
- Diatomaceous earth
- Boric acid
All-Natural Termite Prevention
It’s understandable why so many people are uncomfortable using chemical measures to prevent pests in the home. All-natural methods are best used solely for prevention reasons, as extermination usually requires much more powerful techniques. Some of the most used eco-friendly prevention methods include:
- Orange oil: This can be sprayed into high-risk areas for termites about once a year, including crawl spaces and attics.
- Cardboard traps: These are often effective because they contain the cellulose that attracts termites. The hope is that any nearby termites will gather near the trap, which can then be disposed of by burning.
- Sunlight: Termites are very sensitive to sunlight, and exposing infested furniture to daylight can kill off any hiding termites.
- Diatomaceous earth: Used to control many types of garden pests, this can be mixed with soil, water, or paint to help keep termites away.
- Nematodes: Certain groups of parasitic nematodes are known to feed on termites, making them a natural form of biological control.
- Boric acid: Available in liquid or dust form, boric acid works to kill termites and other pests in or near the home.
Ready for your INSTANT quote?
Click the button below to leave your information and we’ll be in touch with a free quote!
Can I Use Natural Methods to Treat Termites?
There is no need to use chemical pesticides if you can stop the problem before it starts. However, if you have an active termite infestation, treatment needs to be handled by a professional who can use the most effective products available. Orange oil, sunlight, nematodes, and other natural prevention methods simply won’t hold up when you are taking on a full-blown infestation.
Termite Prevention is Protection
Preventing termites naturally has been known to work if you are dedicated to regularly applying the treatment. As with all pests, prevention is the best form of control. In addition to these natural methods, it’s still very important to get regular inspections by an expert who can look for early signs of termites in your home.
How Can I Prevent Termites Naturally? Serving Orlando and surrounding counties
Serving satisfied customers in: