Keeping Bed Bugs Out of Your Home
Metro Orlando FL | Kissimmee - Sanford - Leesburg
Bed bugs are a serious problem that can infest your home quickly without preventative action. The most frightening aspect of these pests is that every home is vulnerable, despite your own efforts to maintain a clean home. Bed bugs spread via exposed luggage, discarded furniture, and transported clothing. Follow these 10 easy steps to prevent an infestation in your home.
Cleaning Methods to Prevent Bed Bugs
- Vacuum Your Floor: Bed bugs can live in anything that protects them, such as crevices, cracks in the floor, and carpeting. For this reason, it is helpful to vacuum regularly to prevent an infestation if you do unintentionally bring bed bugs home with you. Pay special attention to where the floor and the wall meet, which provides a good hiding spot for the tiny bugs.
- Clean Your Pet’s Bed: Bed bugs will seek seams and crevices in any place in your home, including the beds where your pets sleep. Check their beds just like you’d check your own, and take the same preventative steps there as well.
- Clean Up Clutter: By having clutter in your home, you are essentially providing more hiding space for bed bugs. Keep your home tidy, and be aware of possible living spaces for the bugs as you organize your things.
Ready for your INSTANT quote?Click the button below to leave your information and we’ll be in touch with a free quote!
Preventative Measures for Bed Bugs
- Look for Physical Signs: Bed bugs leave behind dark fecal spots on mattresses and upholstery, along with shell casings and their white, sticky eggs. Bed bug bites on exposed skin are usually red, itchy, and appear in rows or zig-zags.
- Cover Power Outlets: Though it doesn’t seem like an obvious spot, power outlets are actually preferred hiding spots for bed bugs. Because they have small inlets and have very little traffic, it’s common to find bed bugs hiding away in them until nighttime. Cover the outlets with a simple outlet plug to help deter them.
- Store Clothes in Vacuum-Sealed Bags: Vacuum-sealed bags help provide a barrier between your clothing and wandering bed bugs. These handy bags also remove air from the bag, making the space less appealing to living things.
- Cover Your Mattress: An excellent preventative measure is to cover your mattress in a sturdy encasing. Be sure that the material is durable and can withstand tears or holes. Also be sure that the cover doesn’t have any folds and has enclosed seams. Bed bugs are commonly found in these places on a mattress cover.
- Second Guess Used Items: Buying used household items can offer a lot of benefits, but they can also transport bed bugs. Inspect your items before taking them home with you to be sure that they are free of bed bugs.
- Don’t Bring Them Home from Vacations: Travelers unknowingly spread bed bugs as they make contact with infested hotel rooms, contaminating their luggage and clothing.
- Keep your luggage and clothing off the floor and beds, and if you want to be extra safe, keep your belongings in a large plastic bag.
- Run your belongings through a high heat dryer when you return home.
- Before settling into your hotel room, inspect the mattress and upholstery for the listed signs above. If you notice evidence of bed bugs, then tell the hotel staff immediately and request a room in a different area of the hotel. Bed bugs can often spread to nearby rooms.
You Don’t Need to Fight Bed Bugs Alone
If you discover bed bugs in your home, your first instinct may be to fight them on your own right away. Though there are ways to help rid your home of bed bugs yourself, it can also make matters worse. Often times the home remedies only push the bed bugs away from the treatment and further into your home.
Heron Home & Outdoor will work with you to make sure your needs are taken care of, any problems are addressed, and we won’t stop working until the bed bugs are gone for good. Call Heron today for a free estimate!Back to Bed Bug Exterminators – Control – Removal
Keeping Bed Bugs Out of Your Home Serving Orlando and surrounding counties
Serving satisfied customers in these cities & counties: