Signs You Have a Rodent Infestation
Metro Orlando FL | Kissimmee - Sanford - Leesburg
Every country on earth has rats and mice, with most kinds living in forests or fields. However, there are three types of rodents that commonly live in homes: the house mouse, roof rat, and Norway rat. It doesn’t matter if you live on a farm, in a high-rise apartment, or in a posh mansion, rats and mice may choose to make your residence their home. It can be difficult to deal with an infestation, but you must know what you are up against to deal with it effectively.
The Dangers of Rodents
Rats and mice are extremely dirty and can get into your food, spreading disease and sickness. Mouse and rat droppings in the home can cause respiratory issues. Often when you see one mouse or rat, you can be sure they have family nearby. Vermin usually hide during the day and come out at night, but when they’re hungry, any time is suitable for foraging.
Ready for your INSTANT quote?Click the button below to leave your information and we’ll be in touch with a free quote!
Signs of Rats and Mice
Do you know what to look for if you think you have rats or mice in your home? If you notice any of the following signs, it could mean your home has a rodent problem:
- Droppings are the number one sign of the presence of rats and mice.
- If you notice packages with little holes or gnaw marks, it is indicative that rats or mice have been eating your food.
- Chewed up, shredded paper found in your attic, in boxes or drawers can be a sign of nests in your home.
- If you notice chewing, scratching, or gnawing sounds in the attic or in your walls, it’s probably due to mice or rats.
- Check under boards, in the doghouse, weedy spots and near garbage cans for signs of burrows, which means rats and mice may be tunneling into your home.
- Rats and mice might leave tracks along the floor, so spread out some talcum powder along counter tops and baseboards to see if you notice paw prints.
Rats and Mice Multiply Quickly
Rats and mice breed at lightning speed. A mouse can start reproducing at two months of age. Then two months later, her offspring can start breeding and reproducing. Mice can infest even the cleanest of homes in no time at all. Rats breed throughout the year, and one female can produce up to five litters per year, numbering fourteen or more. Rats and mice must be eradicated as soon as possible.
Preventing Rats and Mice
There are some basic ways to eliminate and remove rats and mice:
- Keep garbage cans covered up.
- Remove dog and cat food when your animals are not eating.
- Remove any packaged food in unattended cabinets.
- Get rid of woodpiles, old cars, weeds, old containers, and other materials that can provide shelter.
- Keep doors closed.
- Cover any open windows with screen.
- Cover any floor drains.
- Caulk around any pipes or holes.
Call an Expert Rodent Removal Company
Because getting rid of rats and mice can be so difficult, and the use of poison or traps may not be preferable, it is better to hire a professional pest control company. Pest control companies have options to kill mice and rats that homeowners do not have access to, and will be safe for homes with pets and small children.
Additionally, working with a pest control company is much less stress for you, because most of them will come back until your vermin problem is alleviated if necessary. Call Heron Home & Outdoor today for all your pest control needs!Back to Rodents – Rat & Mice Exterminators
Signs You Have a Rodent Infestation Serving Orlando and surrounding counties
Serving satisfied customers in: