Mosquito Repellents: Mist vs. Barrier Systems
Metro Orlando FL | Kissimmee - Sanford - Leesburg
Are you looking for a safe, affordable and effective mosquito prevention treatment for your home? Misting systems have gained some popularity, but are they effective? How do they compare with barrier systems? Let’s take a closer look.
Basic Differences Between Misting and Barrier Systems
- A misting system is installed throughout a house. At designated intervals, it sprays insect-killing chemicals to get rid of mosquitoes and prevent them from breeding. The chemicals need to be stored safely and replaced periodically to keep the system functional.
- A barrier treatment, on the other hand, is laid out by a pest control operator and is implemented in a yard. There are no chemicals that need to be stored by the homeowner, and all materials are administered by a professional pest control technician.
Details of Misting vs Barrier Mosquito Repellents
- Coverage: A misting system treats the immediate area around the location of the spray, while a barrier system treats the entire yard. Your entire yard is where the mosquitoes live while they await their food, so barrier systems are generally a more effective means of control.
- Effectiveness: Barrier systems work significantly longer than misting systems. A barrier lasts for 30-60 days, depending on the level of treatment. A misting system only lasts for 10 minutes and needs to be replaced periodically in order for the chemicals to keep working.
- Life Cycle of Mosquitoes: Misting is useful for killing active mosquito adults within immediate range of the system equipment. This means that mosquitoes out of range will not be affected. The barrier system also kills active adults, but also prevents future adults from emerging. The service is usually combined with larva control treatment so both the adults and larvae are destroyed.
- Cost: The cost of misting as a method of mosquito management involves the need to buy equipment, as well as having it installed, properly maintained, and refilled with chemicals on a regular basis. Barrier systems are hassle-free. You simply pay for the treatment, which is applied in your yard. There is no need for maintenance, or for you to monitor the system.
Ready for your INSTANT quote?Click the button below to leave your information and we’ll be in touch with a free quote!
Concerns About Misting or Barrier Mosquito Systems
There are a number of concerns associated with misting systems. Here are a few you should be aware of:
- Misting requires the use of pesticides in and around the home, the levels of which can be potentially hazardous. If you breathe in excessive amounts of chemicals from the misting system, the effects on the body can be toxic. Chemicals can be inhaled or get onto the skin and cause irritation, certain medical conditions, or even serious illness.
- The system sprays blindly into the supposed infested areas where there may not necessarily be mosquitoes, meaning some chemicals are wasted.
- It can also be argued that there exists a certain level of pesticide resistance, meaning a number of mosquitoes might survive the spray even if they do come into contact with it.
- Misting is not consistent with Integrated Pest Management principles. It is therefore not the optimal method of exterminating pests.
Deciding Between Misting and Barrier Systems
Bottom line: Should you use a misting system? The EPA cautions against it as the components are not classified as ‘application equipment’. They also are generally not as effective as other systems, like barriers, and are hazardous to the environment. Barrier systems, in contrast, are proven to work better at killing mosquitoes. They also cost less than misting systems and are far more environmentally friendly, meaning you can feel safe and assured about pest control in and around your home. Either way, you may need to consult a professional pest control exterminator to decide what’s best for you. Heron Home & Outdoor will work with you to make sure your needs are taken care of, any problems are addressed, and we won’t stop working until your backyard is fully controlled. Call Heron today for a free estimate!Back to Mosquito Exterminators – Control – Removal
Mosquito Repellents: Mist vs. Barrier Systems Serving Orlando and surrounding counties
Serving satisfied customers in these cities & counties: