How to Detect Termites Early
Metro Orlando FL | Kissimmee - Sanford - Leesburg
You would never be able to hear it, but at this very moment, thousands of termites could be eating away through your home – unseen and unknown until it’s too late. Termites are known as “silent destroyers” because of their ability to chew through wood, flooring and even wallpaper undetected. Termites cause $6 billion in property damage each year. And this damage is not typically covered by homeowners’ insurance! Inspecting your home regularly for termites is the best way to avoid the cost and frustration of a full-blown infestation.
Early Signs of Termite Damage
You can potentially spot termite damage before it becomes a significant and costly problem. Here are the four ways to find termites early:
- Knock on the walls and wood.
- Listen for hollow sounds in the wood.
- When termites are eating, they are going to create tunnels through the wood and in the walls.
- These tunnels, when tapped, are going to have a different sound from the solid wood, and it should be relatively easy for you to hear.
- Look for crumbling wood.
- Look for what appears to be sawdust near the base of the wood and on the floor.
- In addition, look for gaps between wooden joints or between boards.
- Watch for mud tubes.
- Mud tunnels can be found within walls, and also underneath the house, connecting the ground to the house.
- The insects use these tubes like roads, traveling from the main colony to your property.
- You should be able to see the holes and the tubes that lead away from your property and back to their colony.
- Inspect trees on your property.
- If you notice some of the trees in the area are dying, it could be because it has a termite infestation. They will sometimes eat through the trees before they start in on your house.
- If you notice a problem with the flora on your property, it could be a sign that termites are active.
If you notice any of the above signs, a professional expert should be contacted as soon as possible.
Ready for your INSTANT quote?Click the button below to leave your information and we’ll be in touch with a free quote!
Termite Damage Prevention
Regardless of the species, termites are destructive and can cost you lots of money in unexpected home repairs. In addition to the inspection steps above, here are a few tips to prevent termites from wreaking havoc on your home:
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Keep basements, attics and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Repair leaking faucets, water pipes and AC units which are on the outside of the home.
- Repair fascia and soffits and rotted roof shingles.
- Replace weather stripping and repair loose mortar around basement foundation and windows.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and 5 inches off the ground.
- Direct water away from your house through properly functioning downspouts, gutters, and splash blocks.
- Keep mulch at least 15 inches from the foundation.
Call a Professional Termite Control Company
You’ve taken all of this advice, remained vigilant, and the worst has happened—you found evidence of termites! What now?
Give Heron Home & Outdoor a call. We perform the finest termite protection services in Florida. We’re fast, reliable, and available for all of your questions! Call today for a free estimate!Back to Termite Exterminators, Control & Removal
How to Detect Termites Early Serving Orlando and surrounding counties
Serving satisfied customers in: