Why Do Mosquitoes Bite Me All the Time?
Are you part of that group of people that gets hounded by mosquitoes every year? Certain people are definitely “mosquito magnets” more than others, but experts still don’t understand all of the intricacies of mosquito attraction. However, we are able to offer you some advice on avoiding mosquito bites this spring and summer here in Central FL. Read on for informed advice from the mosquito exterminators at Heron Home & Outdoor!
Why Do Mosquitoes Bite Some People More Than Others?
Although it’s still hard to predict who mosquitoes would rather bite based on research conducted up to this point, we do know how mosquitoes seek out their hosts. They are receptive to certain signals that humans give off:
- Breath: Mosquitoes can sense an influx of carbon dioxide in the air when humans are nearby. The carbon dioxide that you exhale will tip off mosquitoes to your presence, especially if you are exercising or spending an extended amount of time near their breeding grounds.
- Body odor: People who perspire more are at a greater risk of being bitten by mosquitoes. Other odors such as strong floral perfumes can attract mosquitoes, too.
- Temperature: A high internal body temperature gives off a stronger signal to mosquitoes. Wearing dark clothing that traps heat or getting exercise outside can both contribute to mosquito attraction.
How Can You Avoid Mosquito Bites?
Everyone would like to go through the spring and summer without any mosquito bites, but no one wants to stay inside! So, what are the best ways to get outside and avoid mosquito bites at the same time? Here are three ways you can reduce your exposure to mosquitoes in Central FL:
- Look out for stagnant water: Mosquitoes lay their eggs in even the tiniest pools of standing water, and because their reproductive cycle is so fast, they are able to multiply at incredible rates while going undetected. Inspect your yard for pooling rainwater in your gutters, planter boxes, and anywhere else that could collect still water.
- Wear the right clothes: Because dark colors trap heat and increase your body temperature, wearing white and light-colored clothing is a reliable way to reduce your risk of mosquito bites.
- Wearing pants and long sleeves is the best way to avoid bites, but this can be a hard choice to make on hot summer days.
Use bug repellent: EPA-approved bug sprays containing DEET or picaridin will protect you most reliably for the longest period of time. If you’re looking for an all-natural alternative, try lemon eucalyptus oil or citronella candles.
Professional Mosquito Exterminators in Central FL
If you’re tired of dealing with mosquito bites on your property year after year, it’s time to reach out to your local mosquito exterminators. Our team at Heron Home & Outdoor is committed to protecting our customers with calculated barrier treatments that protect your home for months at a time. For a free quote or to ask any questions about how we conduct mosquito control, reach out today!
Why Do Mosquitoes Bite Me All the Time? in Orlando FL and surrounding counties
Serving satisfied customers in: