Learn to Prevent Mosquitoes this National Pest Month!
Everyone has had mosquitoes ruin a backyard barbecue or outdoor picnic at one time or another. This National Pest Month, the mosquito control team at Heron Home & Outdoor want to share their top tips on how to prevent mosquitoes. As the weather heats up in the coming months here in central Florida, the mosquitoes are going to be here before we know it.
Thankfully, there are several things homeowners can do to greatly reduce the risk of getting mosquitoes in their yard. Read on to learn our expert tips and tricks!
How to Prevent Mosquitoes this Summer
Mosquitoes are a fact of life in Florida, but that doesn’t mean you have to welcome them onto your property! These insects are picky when it comes to where they choose to live and breed. The good news is, there are several things you can do to make your yard less appealing to mosquitoes:
- Get rid of standing water. Remove standing water from flower pots,bird baths, tarps, and more to eliminate mosquito breeding hot spots.
- Place screens on windows and doors. Installing screens can keep mosquitoes from getting indoors every time you so much as open a window or door!
- Get fish for your pond and agitate the water. Certain types of fish will feed on mosquito larvae. Additionally, adding an agitator will stop mosquitoes from laying eggs in the water.
- Keep your yard tidy and trimmed. Regularly maintain your garden and lawn to keep the grass short. Also keep plants and bushes trimmed to prevent mosquito resting spots.
- Install ceiling or tower fans. Mosquitoes hate wind and are not strong fliers. Use fans to help force them away from your outdoor spaces!
Mosquito Bite Prevention Tips
No one wants to deal with mosquito bites! Whether you’re going to a nearby lake or taking a hike, it’s important to know how to prevent mosquitoes even when you’re away from your home. Some of the ways to do this include:
- Avoid going outdoors at dusk and dawn, which is when mosquitoes are most active.
- Try to stay away from swampy areas or spots with standing water.
- Wear light-colored, long-sleeved shirts and pants.
- Following the manufacturer’s instructions, apply an EPA-registered insect repellent.
Prevent Mosquitoes All Year Long
Let’s face it: mosquitoes are party-poopers! No one wants them in their backyard, especially during the nicest parts of the year. For more guidance on how to prevent mosquitoes in your home in the upcoming months, give the mosquito exterminators at Heron a call. We can help keep mosquitoes away from your property for good.
Learn to Prevent Mosquitoes this National Pest Month! in Orlando FL and surrounding counties
Serving satisfied customers in: