Watch Out for Florida Chinch Bugs this Summer
Chinch bugs destroy lawns all over Central FL every summer. From early July to late August, many residents of our area know to keep a close watch on their lawns for discoloration and damage. More often than we would like, we end up finding some that we can attribute to chinch bugs.
These tiny bugs are quite difficult to spot before they’ve already damaged your lawn for the summer. So, what are these pests, and what can we do to keep them out of our green grass? Read on to learn from our chinch bug experts at Heron Home & Outdoor!
How Do I Know if I Have Chinch Bugs?
Chinch bugs are notorious for tearing through yards without ever being physically spotted, which is why you might think you have a lawn disease or a water distribution issue when it’s actually them! You have to learn how they look and what their damage looks like:
- Chinch bug appearance: Chinch bugs are usually only ⅛” – ¼” in length. They are reddish-brown to black in color, have six legs, and sport a pair of lighter wings that fold over each other across their backs.
- Chinch bug damage: When chinch bugs eat away at your lawn, they will produce scattered spots of yellowing or browning grass. This happens because they inject a toxin into the grass blades that causes them to wilt and have difficulty growing back.
How to Control Chinch Bugs
If you think chinch bugs are causing damage to your lawn, you can try the “floatation method” to verify it. Cut out the bottom of a can and press the cylinder 3 inches into the soil around a damaged grass site. If you pour water into the top of the can, keeping it consistently full for 5 minutes, any chinch bugs below will float to the top.
Whether or not this yields chinch bugs, we recommend taking these steps to keep lawn pests out of your grass:
- Use a slow-releasing nitrogen fertilizer (this is usually the best option for Florida lawns, but ensure it is right for your species of grass first)
- Install an irrigation system that accounts for your lawn’s grass species, shapes, and shaded areas
- Hire your local lawn pest control company for an assessment and extermination services
Get Rid of Chinch Bugs in Central FL
If you want to get rid of chinch bugs or whatever other pest is damaging your lawn, reach out to your local lawn pest extermination company. At Heron Home & Outdoor, our specialized technicians are trained to assess all kinds of lawn issues that Central FL residents commonly face. We have experience handling every type of lawn pest in the region, so we can create a plan that quickly and safely gets rid of them on your property. Contact us today for a free quote!
Watch Out for Florida Chinch Bugs this Summer in Orlando FL and surrounding counties
Serving satisfied customers in: