Are Cockroaches More Prevalent in the Summertime?
In Central Florida, cockroaches are a common household pest all year long. However, many residents have likely noticed that their activity surges in the summertime. Although roaches are hardy insects that can survive a number of climates and environments, summertime is when these creepy crawlers thrive. Everyone knows roaches are attracted to humidity, and the Florida summer climate is ideal for their activity. Infestations are at their most populous this time of year, making it important to know what you can do to keep them away. Keep reading for tips from the cockroach control experts here at Heron Home & Outdoor.
Summertime Roach Infestations
Cockroaches can breed throughout the year. However, many species will be less active in the winter months as they wait out the return of the humid heat offered by the summertime. When warmer temperatures return, roaches are more likely to forage for food, enter homes, and breed. The humid temperatures are a big attractant, which is why infestations are so often centralized in kitchens, bathrooms, basements, and more. In cases of extreme heat, cockroaches that otherwise stay outdoors will flood inside in search of food, water, and relief from the heat. Due to this behavior, we receive many calls about roaches this time of year.
How Do You Prevent Cockroaches in the Summer?
A cockroach infestation is infamously one of the most difficult to get rid of without professional help. As with all pests, the best form of control is prevention! Our best cockroach prevention tips to keep roaches away this summer include:
- Inspecting the perimeter of your home and seal cracks and crevices. Seal windows and doors or install screens.
- Keeping a clean kitchen and bathroom. Wipe or clean up any spills or messes as soon as possible.
- Picking up pet food bowls after mealtimes. Try to avoid leaving food out overnight or for days at a time.
- Securely storing all food in tight-fitting airtight containers, and refrigerating unsealed food.
- Ensuring your garbage cans are sealed with a tight-fitting lid, and routinely take it out when needed.
- Avoiding leaving piles of clutter or junk both inside and outside of your property.
- Promptly fixing any leaky pipes or clogged rain gutters to avoid moisture problems.
What to Do When You Have Roaches
As mentioned previously, cockroaches are tricky to get rid of. Seeing even one roach is often a bad sign there are many more nearby. For this reason, it’s crucial to always enlist the help of a professional roach exterminator. DIY cockroach control is fruitless, especially when dealing with a larger infestation in the summertime. The experts at Heron can help!
Are Cockroaches More Prevalent in the Summertime? in Orlando FL and surrounding counties
Serving satisfied customers in: