Often called a “yellow sac spider”, these spiders are often pale yellow in color and have even been known to have a hint or tinge of green. Similarly to most spiders, sac spiders prefer to stay away from human contact and typically only find their way indoors by accident. For the most part, sac spiders prefer to feed on a variety of types of spiders along with other garden insects. Though rare, bites can be painful for the victim.
Sac Spider Behaviors
Sac spiders are mostly nocturnal, meaning they do their hunting at night. Because they are hunters, they catch their prey directly instead of with a web as other types of spiders do. It is common to see these spiders inside a home during the fall as they begin to seek warmth from the dropping temperatures outdoors. When outside, they love to inhabit gardens and under vegetation in the yard.
Dangers of Sac Spiders
Sac spider bites are rare, but do occur when the spider has felt threatened. For example, someone reaching into a box or show may unintentionally threaten the sac spider and receive a bite in return. If you are someone you know gets bitten by a sac spider, it’s important to seek medical attention. Their bites are often confused for those of recluse spiders, but thankfully symptoms are not as extreme. Reactions may include soreness, itchiness, and swelling.
Get Rid of Spiders: The Heron Solution
Your Heron technician will:
- Determine the type of spider.
- Conduct a full property inspection that includes your yard, attached & detached structures, driveway and home.
- Directly treat spider-nests outside your foundation to protect your home during the warmer months along with their food source (other insects).
- Physically remove webs from the outside and inside of your home.
- Seal small common entry points if they are contributing to the infestation.
- Discreetly apply material in unfinished basements, voids and other spider-frequented areas when evidence is noted.
- Place “sticky traps” on the interior to monitor activity.
- Create a full report describing the treatment and how you can protect your home from further infestations including:
- Changing the lighting around your structure.
- Eliminate clutter inside and outside of your structure.
Heron’s pestfree365 Home program covers over 36 common pests to ensure your property and home is protected from the basic spiders throughout the entire year.
Heron provides an additional guarantee on recluse spider treatment where the client has provided access for the inspection of all rooms to identify recluse spider activity and that the appropriate preparation for service has been completed by homeowner or tenant.