Signs of Termites in Your Walls
Termites are one of the most destructive pests in the world. In the United States alone, subterranean termites cause over $5 billion in damage every single year! Here in Central FL, we see infestations of subterranean termites and many other termite species all the time.
If you’re worried that you might have termites in your home, read on for the Heron Home & Outdoor team’s advice and identification tips.
What Do Termites Look Like in Central FL?
It’s easy to months or even years in the midst of a termite infestation without ever knowing what they look like. This is because termites prefer to stay hidden, living in the dark, damp, hidden spaces between our walls, in our homes’ structural pieces, or out under the ground in our yards.
There are several species of termites that find suitable living environments here in Central FL. If you think you’ve found termites in your home or are uncertain about what type of bugs you’re dealing with, here are some important identifying features to go by:
- Most termites’ colors darken as they approach the head
- Termites have bulbous heads with protruding mandibles that they use to chomp through wood
- Termite swarmers have two sets of long wings that extend out beyond their bodies.
Signs of Termites in the House
Being able to recognize the signs of termite damage in your home can be the difference between a thousand dollars in damage and tens of thousands of dollars. The earlier you notice termite activity, the easier it will be to correct, as well. Be on the lookout for these signs of termites in your home:
- Small holes: Tiny, pin-sized holes will appear where termites have eaten through your drywall to your wooden structures.
- Discoloration or disfiguration: Your walls might take on a yellowing or stained appearance when affected by termite damage. They will also feel softer to the touch.
- Hollow sounds: If you tap on your walls where you suspect termites are, you will get a hollow sound back if you are right.
- Musty smell: Termite colonies give off a smell that resembles wet and moldy surfaces.
Termite Control with Heron Home & Outdoor
If you’ve discovered an active termite infestation in your home, there’s no time to waste. Reach out to your local pest control company right away. Here at Heron Home & Outdoor, we use only the top pest control products and strategies in the industry, prioritizing efficient removal, eco-friendly products, and the education of our customers to prevent future infestations. For a free quote or more information on our termite extermination services, contact us today!
Signs of Termites in Your Walls in Orlando FL and surrounding counties
Serving satisfied customers in: